- Consumes all MP. Has a chance to knock out the target. If Death fails to knock out the target, it will instead deal darkness damage. Ineffective against undead.
How to Obtain
- Darkness damage is directly proportional to MP at the time of casting and is affected by Magic Attack Bonus. It is not affected by INT, Magic Damage, or Item Level, but is affected by weather and day (including Voidstorm) as well as Dark Staff. Incomplete formula is below:
- (32 + (3 * MP)) * Magic Attack Bonus * Day/Weather Bonus * Dark Affinity
- If cast at 0 MP with Manafont, will do 0 damage.
- Can be used as a Magic Burst and is affected by Magic Burst Bonus gear and traits.
- Affected by Occult Acumen.
- Not affected by Manifestation, Cascade, or Manawell (this includes the damage bonus from Job Points).
- Odds of instant kill appear to be extremely low. Whether or not it's proportional to MP or affected by Magic Accuracy is unknown.
- Chance of instant kill might increase with magic burst.
- Presumably doesn't work on Notorious Monsters, although in the long, varied history of the game, maybe a few aren't flagged correctly.
- Instant kill cannot activate on Undead. Despite how the description is worded, they will still take damage (although most Undead are dark-resistant).
Enemy Version Notes
When cast by enemies, Death is a Dark Magic spell that inflicts instant K.O. on the target. It does not deal darkness damage if it fails. It differs from the Doom status effect, which allows a short window of time to remove the effect before K.O. is inflicted. In either case, standard EXP loss is still incurred for being K.O.'d by these effects.
In most cases of monsters that use this spell, it has perfect accuracy on players unless they have equipment or a status boost with Death resistance (or possibly general status effect resistance). The Death spell cannot be blocked by "shadow images" such as those provided by Utsusemi or Blink, like most other offensive single-target magic can.
Death has a standard casting time of approximately 5 seconds. It is possible (and common) for certain enemies to cast it faster due to the influence of things like Fast Cast or Chainspell. Once Death begins casting, the only surefire ways to avoid K.O. are to interrupt the enemy casting it or get out of the caster's range before it finishes casting.
The following monsters cast Death:
- Angra Mainyu
- Apocalyptic Beast
- Arch Angra Mainyu
- Arch Dynamis Lord
- Arch Goblin Golem
- Arch Gu'Dha Effigy
- Arch Overlord Tombstone
- Arch Tzee Xicu Idol
- Bloodeye Vileberry
- Cannered Noz
- Dark Rider
- Diabolos Club
- Diabolos Diamond
- Diabolos Heart
- Diabolos Spade
- Diabolos Nox
- Dynamis Lord
- Goblin Golem
- Golden-Tongued Culberry
- Gwynn Ap Nudd
- Gu'Dha Effigy
- Lacquered Mimic
- Lord Asag
- Mamool Ja Trainer (on Avatars only)
- Overlord's Tombstone
- Putraxia (sealed if Dark Elementals are killed)
- Poroggos after using Providence.
- Soaring Dvergr
- Sombre Mimic
- Tzee Xicu Idol
Death as a Status Effect
Death as a status effect refers exclusively to the instant knockout. The following monster abilities can inflict Death:
- Dark Invocation by various Yagudo NMs.
- Dark Sun by Lilith Ascendant.
- Death Prophet by various Mantid NMs.
- Deathly Glare by Akvan.
- Extremely Bad Breath by various Morbol NMs.
- Marine Mayhem by Tchakka and Dakuwaqa.
- Mortal Blast by various Coeurl NMs
- Perdition by Bhoots.
- Quietus Sphere by Robel-Akbel.
- Tidal Guillotine by Tchakka and Dakuwaqa. Only if the damage dealt would take off more than 50% of the target's remaining HP.
- Thar She Blows by Pteraketos.
- Tyrant Tusk by Sobek, Minax Bugard, and Deelgeed
- Zantetsuken by Odin, which can be resisted if the player uses /heal ("kneeling before the dark lord").
The following player abilities can inflict Death:
- Pavor Nocturnus, a Blood Pact: Ward by Diabolos. Dispels a single status boost if it fails.
- Zantetsuken by Odin during Astral Flow. Deals darkness damage if resisted.
Death is affected by the following equipment and status effects:
- Additional Effect: Death is on:
- Death Resistance is on:
- The following give general resistance to status effects. It is unconfirmed if Death resistance is part of them:
- Death Spikes is a unique trait of Tartarus Platemail.
- The following Atmas provide Death resistance:
- Magic Shield provided by Fool's Drink and Fool's Powder negates all spells, including Death.