Architecture covers all of the non-natural construction found around the world we know as Vana'diel. Some architecture is primitive or perfunctory, while some is advanced and still others fall in between. These structures could be made by any race found in Vana'diel, and include: bridges, buildings, ports, roads, shops, establishments, huts, tents, or outpost vendors where an adventurer can buy goods and services.
The aim of this tree of documents is to provide a glimpse of the wonders wrought while maintaining a third-party vision. For this reason, we include not only the Allies Races architecture, but also the Beastmen architecture as well as that created by now extinct races. Bear in mind that Architecture, like Archaeology, is like solving a puzzle with more pieces missing than there are pieces in the hand.
Beginning with some of the more advanced structures, we encounter the Cities that are principal in Final Fantasy. There are 5 such cities, each with its own flavor! The so called 'starter' cities, where characters first begin their trek in this world, are:
- Bastok - a thriving industrial town of rough hewn rock, this City excels in innovation and inequality!
- Windurst - The center of magic, this City is widely spread so that the short legs of its denizens have to rely on teleport and warp for day to day transportation! The Mithran tribes now settled here help to bring some reality to the layout!
- San d'Oria - This military inspired City, with its regal history, has as its roots the long established traditions of old families. Now move along, Stranger!
Further along in the journey comes the city of Jeuno, The Mediator City, which seeks to unite the others to a common cause. As some of the more advanced adventurers will already know, there are various internal problems which the governments of the starter cities are unaware of!
Still further yet we find the eastern city of Aht Urhgan. This is truly the City under siege, both from within and from without. When the Beastmen take a break from attacking, the internal politics take over and the citizens have no rest! Mercenary, beware!
These are considered to be the 5 principal cities given the player-population of each. There are other towns and cities, and they will be covered in the following pages.
Further down the list come the towns and villages, which have been grouped together here under the heading of "Town Architecture". Examples of these are places such as those listed below, all of which are occupied by the peoples of Vana'diel. Lacking the funding and resources of the cities, many of these townships are built using local materials and whatever is suited to the local climate:
- Selbina This port, which is located in the harsh terrain of the Valkurm Dunes, is a major center for fishing and has representation by both the Fishermens' Guild and the Weavers' Guild as well as a Sea Travel Agency allowing passage to far flung locations and destinations!
- Mhaura This town was carved out of the living rock which makes up the cliffs surrounding it. It boasts Guild representation from both the Goldsmiths and Blacksmiths, as well as a very busy Sea Travel Agency to both Selbina and Aht Urhgan Whitegate.
- Rabao This hidden town is buried deep in the Western Altepa Desert. Common directions for finding it are "Ride a Dhalmel north for two days then turn right!". This tented township reflects the nomadic life of its inhabitants and has some interesting history associated.
- Nashmau Far to the north of Aht Urhgan Whitegate is this sleepy little port, mainly populated by Qiqirn and with access to the Auction Houses of Jeuno, Nomad Moogles and more, this solid, stone built fortress retains some of its eastern styling in its clean, open spaces while denying the dangers without.
- Norg The very epitome of "a den of thieves", Norg is a place of castaways and strange secrets. Much of the goods provided through the Tenshodo comes through Norg, as does much of the Eastern Martial Arts training and equipment.
- Kazham Although not the original homeland, this lush tropical paradise is one of the original settlements of the Mithras. The town is governed by the current Mithran Chieftainess, Jakoh Wahcondalo, and comprises mainly wooden structures with thatched roofs, better suited for repelling the tropical rainstorms that occur regularly here.
- Tavnazian Safehold Once a thriving city, this township now occupies what is left of the underground passageways that were once part of the Cathedral. Destroyed during the war, all inhabitants were thought to have perished, but life goes on despite the best efforts of the beastmen!
Then we come to the "other" places, where settlements have been established and abandoned for one or another reason. This includes locations that were previously occupied by members of now-extinct races and now under Beastman control, such as Ru'Aun Gardens, Ro'Maeve, Temple of Uggalepih and more. Also included in this category are vacated encampments such as those found in Davoi, Quicksand Caves, Misareaux Coast and similar areas.