Different attacks do different types of damage, and different enemies may be resistant or particularly vulnerable to certain damage types. The basic types are:
||Hand-to-Hand, Club, Staff, Harlequin Frame, Stormwaker Frame, Sharpshot Frame
||Axe, Great Axe, Great Sword, Sword, Scythe, Katana, Great Katana, Valoredge Frame
||Dagger, Polearm, Archery, Marksmanship, Shuriken, Boomerang
Some weapons have a different damage type than usual for their category.
Despite having an uncharacteristic damage type when meleeing, these exceptions still use normal damage types during weapon skills. For example, when performing a weapon skill with Vampiric Claws or while using Formless Strikes and any Hand-to-Hand weapon, the damage type is Blunt.
Damage Type Modifiers by Monster Family
- Where not otherwised specified, the damage modifier is understood to be 1.0
- Reduced modifiers for undead monsters (marked above with *) will be raised to near 1.0 for a short time if the monster takes damage from a Banish spell.
- The Warrior job ability Tomahawk raises reduced modifiers for any monster it is used on for 30 seconds (and +15 seconds per additional merit, up to 1:30). It is currently unknown if it raises the reduced modifiers to 1.0, or if there is less of an effect.
- Source: Vanad'iel Monsters (Japanese)
- Verified ladybugs take extra damage from piercing by comparing Birdbanes to Tactician Magician Hooks +0, did not verify 1.25x or 1.5x modifier. -Sylph: Neiko
Avatar damage types
Avatars all do Blunt damage with their normal melee attacks.
The physical blood pacts, however, do 4 different types of damage (all physical BPs are melee damage unless otherwise specified):
Physical Blue Magic takes on Damage Types as well. Below is the list:
--Yuuki 11:51, January 7, 2010 (UTC)