Casting Time: 2 second
How to Obtain
Obtained: Red Mage Merit points Group 2
Casting Dia III will lower the target's defense by 20%. This effect cannot be resisted except with Magic Shield.
- Dia / Bio Priority
- Dia and Bio do not stack.
- Bio III > Dia III > Bio II > Dia II > Bio > Dia
- Example: If Dia is cast, and Bio is cast afterwards, Dia will be overwritten. If Dia II is then cast, Bio will be overwritten. If Bio II is cast, Dia II will be overwritten.
- Note: This is not necessarily the case for player characters who have been hit with both spells.
- Useful Macros
- /ma "Dia III" <t> Casts onto current target
- /ma "Dia III" <bt> Casts onto last target claimed by party
- /ma "Dia III" <stnpc> Allows you to select a target from available NPCs
- The Meaning of Dia
- The spell "Dia" comes from the Japanese release of Final Fantasy I. In the original localization of the game it was renamed as "Harm", "Hrm2", and so on. It is an abbreviation of "Dispel Undead" with the "U" in undead being an "A" in Japanese. While names in Final Fantasy XI are influenced by english, it was left as Dia to connotate with "daylight"(as per Latin-based languages) because daylight is often depicted as harmful to the undead. As such, in the localization of the FF1 remakes Harm was changed back into Dia (and animated as a blast of sunlight in graphically advanced remakes of the game to follow the theme).
- Despite seeming to be a truncation of the word "diamond" in English, in Japanese the spell "Dia" bears no relationship to diamonds and is spelled and pronounced ディア(dia /diä/, "Dee-ah"), not ダイヤ(daiya /däɪjä/, "Dye-ah").