Blade of Darkness
(Redirected from Dark Sider)
- Speak with Gumbah until he gives you the cutscene that starts this quest. He is located on the upper floor in Bastok Mines inside the house at J-7.
- Make sure you check your quest log before heading to Palborough Mines.
- Travel to the Palborough Mines (go from Port Bastok to North Gustaberg, and enter the mines at (K-3)). Head to the third floor. If you have the map for Palborough Mines, the third floor has a giant burn hole in the center.
- Proceed to the boat at (H-8).
- Get on the boat and pull the lever to zoning into Zeruhn Mines while on the boat to receive a cutscene and the Chaosbringer, a level 1 Great Sword for Warriors, Dark Knights, and Rune Fencers.
- Anyone can pull the lever; you need only make the trip.
- Kill 100 enemies with Chaosbringer equipped. It doesn't matter what you kill, as long as the sword is equipped and deals the final blow with a standard/critical melee strike.
- Once you have defeated 100 enemies, take the blade to Beadeaux to unlock Dark Knight.
The 100 Kills
- For it to count as a kill, the finishing blow must be made through a regular or critical strike with the Chaosbringer.
- WEAPON SKILL KILLS DO NOT COUNT. Must kill with a regular or critical strike as stated above.
- As long as the finishing blow is dealt with the Chaosbringer, the method(s) used to damage the monster are irrelevant. For this reason, WAR/BLM casting Black Magic to weaken enemies, with Fields of Valor Refresh active, is a very effective strategy for low level Warriors.
- During Harvest Festival events in real-life October, the Wraith Bats that spawn outside the starter nations have only 1 HP, making them the ideal target for this quest.
- Weapon skills that defeat the monster, or abilities that do so (such as Jump), do not count towards the kill total.
- Monsters that kill themselves (such as Goblins' Bomb Toss, Bombs' Self-Destruct, and Bees' Final Sting) do not count towards the kill total.
- Nothing resets the kill count (other than dropping the blade); you may change areas, jobs, weapons, get K.O.'d, etc.
- Any enemy works for this quest, as long as the above guidelines are followed.
- The enemy does not have to give experience points for it to count toward the 100 total.
See the Video page.
- Zeid, the sole master of the way of the dark knight in Vana'diel, has been sighted in the Palborough Mines. If you seek him out, he may make you an apprentice...