Written in the Stars
Accept the Mission
- This mission may be skipped by turning in a total of 3 and 1/2 stacks of crystals (42) since gaining rank 3; however, if this mission is skipped, you will not obtain the Portal Charm. For this reason, if you are soloing missions, it is recommended that you not skip this mission.
- Trading about 1 crystal will unlock this mission, after completing the previous mission.
- Accept the Mission from the Gate Guard and then go to Heavens Tower.
- Head up to the second floor and talk to Zubaba to get a necessary Charm of Light Key Item.
- Note: If you are repeating this quest or doing it for the first time after skipping it, you will not get the key item. Please read the 'Notes' section below for the changes to the quest.
- Gather a group that includes a Black Mage, White Mage, and Red Mage OR someone that has done this Mission before and has obtained the Portal Charm. It is best to have a party of level 30+ (as of recent updates there are monsters that aggro lv95 on the route, Sneak and Invisible will be required) so that you can handle the aggro, or you can try to Sneak/Invisible yourselves through.
- Once you have your group gathered head out to the Lily Tower which is in East Sarutabaruta at J-7.
- Note: If you have started the quest Toraimarai Turmoil, you can enter Toraimarai Canal from Windurst Walls and go behind the gate that way. You will need sneak to get through the map. There is 1 room that requires invisible but if you take the right route you won't encounter any beetles.
- Go to the small room at G-8 and through the Cracked Wall on the north side of the room.
- Entering the Cracked Wall at G-9 is safer, but either way Invisible is recommended.
- Make your way to E-10 and go through the Magical Gate of Horutoto there.
- Continue straight west to a Cracked Door at D-10 and go through to the next area.
- Follow the path to the large room at H-9. You'll find the Sealed Portal on the north side of the room. In front of this door are 3 circles on the floor - a whitish one, blackish one, and reddish one. This is the Three Mage Gate.
- To open the gate have your Black Mage stand on the dark circle, White Mage on the light one, and Red Mage on the reddish one. They will begin to glow and the door will open. If you brought someone who has the Portal Charm, they just need to click on the door to open it.
- Everyone needs to head through quickly - when the door closes, that's it. It cannot be re-opened from the inside.
- Follow this passage a few steps to a round room with two hallways - one to the north-east, and one to the north-west. It doesn't matter which one you take - they'll both lead to the same place. They look like dead ends, but they're just false walls. Walk right through the wall at the end of the tunnel to find yourself in a room full of Wendigos and Battle Bats.
- Head over to the small room in G-7 (west side, north room) and click on the Gate of Light for a cutscene.
- You can get back to the Three Mage Gate by walking into the glowing light on the platform in the east room at H-6. From here you can make your way back through the ruins the same way you came. Otherwise if you want, bring an Instant Warp Scroll.
- Go back to Heavens Tower and talk to Zubaba again.
- At this stage, your mission is completed BUT you will NOT get your Portal Charm. You must obtain a Rolanberry and trade it to Kupipi to trigger a cutscene and you will get your reward then.
- If you traded a Rolanberry to Kupipi earlier, she will not give you the Portal Charm until now.
As of May 28, 2016, this mission can occur twice in a row, each with differing completion objectives. This editor was unable to gain Rusty Dagger drops from WAR-type Wendigo until second iteration of Written in the Stars, at which point the drops became exceedingly common. Players should note this in case they attempt to unsuccessfully farm drops during first trip.
- First Completion
- Gain access through Three Mage Gate with help of another player. They must have Portal Charm to open door, or you must have a party consisting of a WHM, a RDM, and a BLM who can stand on the colored circles to activate the door.
- Gain cut-scene at G-7 Gate of Light, complete at Windurst Walls.
- At this point, trade Rolanberry to Kupipi for cutscene and Portal Charm.
- Second Completion
- Zubaba will send you back to "clean up some vermin" beyond the Three Mage Gate.
- Acquire three Rusty Dagger drops from WAR-type Wendigo beyond Three Mage Gate, then trade to Zubaba to complete second iteration of Written in the Stars.
End May 28, 2016 update.
- An easy place to acquire a Rolanberry is Duty Free in Port Jeuno or M&P's Market in Upper Jeuno. Both 120 gil.
- If you're repeating this quest or skipped it and are doing it for the first time, it is a bit different:
- (Edited June 28th, 2012 Since there is a lot of conflicting information on wiki on how to get the Portal Charm if you are doing it after having skipped the mission -Vasqua, Shiva) To get the Portal Charm You must first accept the Mission from the gate guard. After accepting the Mission, go speak to Zubaba. She will only require 3 Rusty Daggers to prove you were there. You can either buy these from the AH, or actually go farm them off Wendigos behind the 3 Mages Door in Inner Horutoto Ruins - she doesn't care.
- (Edited July 22th, 2015) Zubaba doesnt ask for proof anymore it seems, upon doing missions to gain access via Toraimarai Turmoil accessed Gate of Light and upon speaking to Zubaba completed mission and got Portal Charm from Kupipi. Rusty Daggers were not needed.
- Only the Wendigos carrying the club and shield in the Rose Tower map drop the Rusty Dagger.
- Trade the 3 Rusty Daggers to Zubaba and the Mission is complete. Kupipi may have asked you before to trade a Rolanberry to Kupipi. If she doesn't ask you for it, just trade her one after the mission is finished. Even if you traded her the Rolanberry before accepting this mission she will remember and reward you with a Portal Charm.
- Mission Orders
- On the command of Zubaba, the head lady-in-waiting, you are to journey beneath the central magic tower of the Horutoto Ruins. There, you are to report to the facility managed by Heavens Tower, which protects the talisman that seals Castle Zvahl. Render whatever assistance is necessary.