What lies beyond these mysterious portals of grotesque design, and why have they suddely manifested across Vana'diel? Perhaps the answer lies in rumors which state similar gates were also witnessed during the Crystal War, two decades past.
Mysterious portals, known as Cavernous Maws, can be found in various locations around present-day Vana'diel. These portals are used as gateways between the present, the past (Shadowreign Realm) and Abyssea. There is no cost to use the maws.
- In order to use a present-day Cavernous Maw, you must use the same one in the past, similar to gaining access to Runic Portals (this does not apply to Abyssea Maws).
Crystal War Maws
- Batallia Downs (S) (H-5)
- Rolanberry Fields (S) (H-6)
- Sauromugue Champaign (S) (K-9)
- You must pass through Garlaige Citadel (S) via G-11 to access this Maw.
- Jugner Forest (S) (H-11)
- Pashhow Marshlands (S) (K-8)
- East Ronfaure (S) (H-5)
- North Gustaberg (S) (K-7)
- West Sarutabaruta (S) (H-9)
- Tahrongi Canyon (H-12)
- Konschtat Highlands (I-12)
- La Theine Plateau (E-4)
- Valkurm Dunes (I-9)
- Jugner Forest (J-8)
- Buburimu Peninsula (F-7)
- South Gustaberg (J-10)
- North Gustaberg (G-6)
- Xarcabard (H-8)
Using Cavernous Maws
- Upon checking a maw for the first time in Batallia Downs, Sauromugue Champaign, or Rolanberry Fields, you will trigger the first mission for Wings of the Goddess. You will obtain a Pure White Feather key item, which is your "pass" through the maws.
- When you first enter a maw to access the past, you will be transported randomly to a maw in Batallia Downs (S), Sauromugue Champaign (S), or Rolanberry Fields (S). It is possible to use a maw in one zone and arrive in another.
- When you zone into the past, the only maws you will be able to use from current time will be ones from which you have previously exited from the past.
- Abyssea Cavernous Maws do not require you to enter/exit like Maws that give you access to the past. You can not enter Abyssea zones without using a Maw.
- You have to be Level 30 or higher in order to enter Abyssea Cavernous Maws.
- Gobbiebag expander Bluffnix will sometimes say that the Maws remind him of a song his grandgobbie used to sing to him about the "Mawed One."
- The design of Cavernous Maws mirror that of Atomos and all its incarnations in previous Final Fantasy games.