|This article is a personal guide. Information expressed in this guide is one player's opinion and may be more opinion than fact. Strategies and information contained herein may not work for everyone.
No non-minor changes should be made without consulting the author. Changes or questions should be discussed on the talk page.
by Godofgods <Odin>
The following guide is what worked best for me. I'm currently 80 on Woodworking and planning to take it to 100. I'll update the later recipes as I do them. I hate farming materials, so most will be focused on easily farmable materials or materials bought from Npc's/Ah. All my research was done either on ffxiah.com or San d'Oria Ah. Also all prices listed were current prices at the time i leveled this craft. (Mostly 2008)
1. Ctownwoody: This man is.. well, a synthing God lol. He has leveled an incredible amount of crafts, and has guides for most of them. They are ALWAYS worth checking. Check his Woodworking guide here - I also used the same format from his guide.
2. Logging. This can be a major waste of time for power crafters. Especially in the 1-60 range. While it might be useful for some in the later levels to save gil, you should be staying away form this.
3. Lumberjack, is a must have if you intend to save gil. It's only 10k Guild Points, and allows you to synth 3 logs at once with only one crystal. And since you'll need an unprecedented amount of lumber later, you either have to buy on AH for a marked up price, or make your own. (Making your own is very easy, but can be time consuming)
3. Norvallen. Norvallen regional vendors can come in handy for making lumber. Unlike the guild shops, Norvallen regional vendors have no waiting time between purchases and a much higher supply. A great place to get your Arrowwood Logs and Ash Logs from.
4. Obviously, be sure to check all relevant AH's before buying materials. Certain cites have certain items cheaper. Generally, the pattern will follow the guilds in the city or farmable mobs right outside the city. Most supplies will be bought at the woodworking guild shop in sandy or sandy/jeuno AH.
5. Conquest Be sure to watch the conquest tallies each week. The nation in first place will have the quiver NPC Nokkhi Jinjahl. She is invaluable to you woodworking success. NOTE: She does not appear during a tie for first place.
6. Gil. Woodworking will have long stretches of being able to make gil back, and lose gil during your synthesis. Learn what items make you some gil back and use it to your advantage.
7. Arrows. That being said, arrows are a woodworkers best friend. I always use these when I can. It's a great power/multi synth. (Generally 99 synths of 33+ arrows each) And they usually sell well, which means you'll gain several levels while making gil back, if not profit. NOTE Each synth requires a piece of lumber. Hence the importance of lumberjack and norvallen. Use them to your advantage.
8 Basic FYI, if you haven't realized yet, the more room in your gobbie bag the better.
9. Sub crafts - While I generally tried to do this with as few subcraft synths as possible, two of them become vital and will speed your crafting up immensely (as well as save you gil) And of course, the more sub crafts you have done the better, especially in the higher levels.
The main two you'll want are Smithing 14 (minimum) and Alchemy 29 if going to 60 : and 60 if going to ww100. I had 14 and 55 at the time I went through WW. The Alchemy is only used in one synth pre 60, but a good one so you'll want it, plus it's not that hard to level. Smithing 14 should be more then simple enough to get.
10 Trainee Axe - Dont be fooled by this item. Pay attention to it's Latent effect. For it to be effective, you must be under level 40 Woodworking with NO synthesis support. So if your skilling, this item is useless. Use the advanced imaging support.
11 Synthing Direction - Their are many beliefs about synthing. One of which is the direction you face while synthing. It's believed that you should face the direction of the constellation of the corresponding element to your crystal. The good thing about this is it only take about two seconds to face the right direction, so even if it is something made up, your not losing any time really. And if its true, its well worth it.
Crystal ----- Direction Water ------- West Wind -------- SouthEast Lightning --- SouthWest Ice --------- East Fire -------- NorthWest Earth ------- South Dark -------- North Light ------- NorthEast
Note: any synth that you can use to level, and then use the resulting item to level again is a great plan! This goes for most lumber.
TEST ITEM: Maple Table (16)--Earth Crystal, Maple Lumber x4— Now it's time to use those Maple Lumbers you've made. These are supposedly great for gardeners, so if you know any be sure to ask if they'd like to buy them.
Congrats on making 30. This is the first step in your woodworking adventure. You can now trade items at the guild for Guild Points The guilds do one item per day. The item can change, however, if you advance in rank. Some synths can be expensive, and some may not be well worth it. It depends on your time and budget. But turn in all that you can for points. You'll definitely be needing lumberjack soon. Plus you'll want to start working towards getting the Carpenter's Gloves and the Carpenter's Apron. Both give +1 to your woodworking skill. Combined with Adv Synth Support you can have +5 right there. You have also reached the rank where you will be starting to get into Arrow territory. My personal favorite all around synth. How far you want to be away form cap when you start these is entirely up to the crafter. But the further away the higher the risk of failing the synth. I have done them up to 10 levels short with Adv Sup. (Ex 49+3 Cap 59) Many fails however. The good thing is you'll do arrows in groups of 99 synths at a time. So you'll have a lot of them to do. You'll need to develop a feel for these. Arrows also sell well generally. I'll include some bridges and various synths to help, but they're completely optional depending on the crafter nature.
UPDATE: Since the creation of this guide, ffxi has witnessed the intoduction of the campaing system. Part of the reward they give are arrow quivers. (single quiver) While their not overly present, ppl will take them and sell them on AH therefor increasing supply.
Note: Their are many synths available to use as a bridge if needed. Though several can cost a fair amount. So I'm only including one. However you can go straight from beetle arrows (39) to horn arrows (49) with Adv Synth Support. There will most likely be several breaks due to gap which is why I'm including one bridge. Both ways can be beneficial depending on your current needs.
Note: Bast Parchment is also used in many other synths including Shihei. You can sell these or use them to craft other items.
TEST ITEM: Rose Wand (47)-- Wind Crystal, Rosewood Lumber, Black Chocobo Feather- Get lumber from AH or guild. The feather can be a pain though. The citizens of the first-place Nation in Conquest Rankings will have these available at the Chocobo Stables, in case the AH doesn't have any singles.
Their are very few good bridges in this range, so I have excluded them from this guide and went straight to the next Arrow. Again using Adv Syn Support you should be ok.
TEST ITEM: Kaman (57)-- Wind Crystal, Elm Lumber, Bamboo Stick, Silk Thread, Wool Cloth-As are many test items, check price on AH vs materials and go with the cheaper of the two. ONLY turn one in if you are going beyond 60 to 100.
This is only for those taking woodworking past 60. I can see taking it to 69 for the Demon Arrows but that's it. This section can also be very hard on the wallet, so proceed with care.
NOTE: If you've taken a look at Ctownwoody's guide you'll notice a distinct similarity up to this point. And I give him all the credit for his long work. But it was the post 60 guild that I strayed off course with, which is why I wanted to make a separate guide. A lot of synth's require massive sub-skills or fishing; neither of which I had, so I had to find a different route.
-Warning- Now it can start getting expensive.
As many know, at this point (80) i had taken a long break at the start of 2009. I had completed all main subcrafts to 60 (except 50 GS). We have also seen the introduction of the three add-on senerios; as well as Vision of abyssea, and Scares of abyssea, with Heros of abyssea still to come. Were also in the process of raiseing the level cap from 75 to 99. Also odins 100 year lock out (server closed, no new players) has finaly ended with the massive server merge. The combind effect of all this has sent the econamy crazy. Items that used to cost a fourtion are now becomeing cheap. And other items are sky rocketing. Since we still have HoA to come i imagin that will continue. It was the notice of price changes that actuly got my back to woodworking earlier then i entended. So on that note... its nearing the end of 2010; lets get this guide finished!
This can be a very long synth >< however, depending on the time put into it, a good one. Whether or not you'll profit, break even, or lose on this entirely depends on how you obtain these materials. If you get all of it off the AH you will lose big. If you're able to farm and HQ a lot, you can profit on these.
Bamboo Sticks can be bought at the guild.
Chestnut Lumber - Buy logs at guild and HQ (28)
Coeurl Whisker I bought these on AH which can add up quickly seeing as they were 3k a stack. Seeing as you need three stacks of these for one stack of synths, that makes it 9k+ per stack. So I would suggest farming them if you're able to.
UPDATE: Whiskers that were once around 3k a stack are now like 8-12k a stack, makeing farming these nessacery if you dont want to lose gill.
Carbon Fiber Farm/buy Bomb Ash to synth your own.
Animal Glue Buy the materials and synth your own. This is a lvl 7 alch synth so HQ should be good. Do NOT buy Animal Glue off the AH!! Lots of people use this to make gil, thus a very high mark up.
Water Cluster This is very easy to farm at Pashhow Marshlands. Head to E/F-5. It rains a lot here so you shouldn't have to wait long. People use this area to farm Beastman blood a lot from the leeches.
NOTE: If you know any high lvl crafters that can help synth your materials for a better chance at HQ then ask them! Especially the alchemy components! More HQ means more gil in your wallet!
The Mega Pumps npc for about 51 gil each. That's 5k+ per stack.
Welcome to the final streatchs of Woodworking! And please except my condolences! I hope you have some gill to loss, cause your going to need it from here on out. At this point your pretty screwed. You options are all horrible. And they will all be major gill sinks. So be prepaired.
I finished off WW with the jacaranda, but i will include a few other 100+ options. And to give you an idea of what to look forward to with lance/jac ill list my personal results.
Took me 52 Lancewood logs to get from 97 to 98
31 lancewood logs from 98 to 98.8
11 Jacaranda from 98.8 to 90
63 Jacaranda from 99 to 100
Also worth noting, Jacaranda has a much higher fail rate then lancewood. Failed 10/63
So feel free to chose what ever recipie that happenes to work best for you! And Congratulations on acheaving Woodworking 100!!!!
Godofgods 20:57, May 14, 2011 (UTC) Odin