From Gamer Escape, the free Final Fantasy XI encyclopedia
Notes on the Battle
- You will enter the battlefield facing Diabolos. This battle is uncapped; there is EXP loss.
- The maximum number of party members allowed to enter the battle is 6. There is a 30 minute time limit.
- Everyone who is involved in the fight must have a Vial of Dream Incense.
- You can buff up before entering the Memento Circle. TP and buffs are not lost upon entering.
- Similar to the Darkness Named fight, there are tiles on the battlefield that will drop away in the same order as the original fight. Falling down to the level below will result in certain death due the numerous Diremite monsters that reside there.
- Diabolos will Draw In all players in the battlefield the first time a player takes an action on him.
- Due to changes made to the battle, it is now impossible for players to disband from the party to avoid the effects of Draw In. Because of this, strategies that involve mages healing and dealing damage from the upper level (out of the range of Nightmare) are no longer viable.
- A similar strategy allowing a Puppetmaster to solo Diabolos using an Automaton to nuke from the platform is also no longer possible.
- Diabolos will not target players' pets, regardless of hate.
- Barsleepra can reduce duration of Nightmare.
- Adding multiple status effects to the party will reduce the impact of Dispelga (songs and bar- spells work well).
- It is recommended that stunners and healers use Poison Potions to avoid prolonged sleep from Sleepga II (note that this will not help with Nightmare and will actually add to Nightmare's deadly Bio effect, while the sleep will not wear off).
- As of recent updates, players slept by Nightmare and then hit by Diabolos with physical or magical attacks have only a small chance of this damage waking them from Nightmare.
- "Chainstun" strategies (using a Red Mage with a Dark Knight support job to constantly Stun with Chainspell) have been known to work for this fight. However, because monsters will gain magic resistance if continuously hit by the same elemental type of spell, Diabolos may resist Stuns after the 4th or 5th volley.
- Black Mages are desirable as well, as they can stand on the ledge at the beginning of the fight and cast a strong Elemental Sealed -aga III or Ancient Magic II spell, with no risk of being interrupted by Nightmare. However, it is tricky to have multiple Black Mages start the battle this way, as Draw In will interrupt any spells being cast when the first spell hits.
- Note that while this will take out a large portion of Diabolos's health, it will most likely lead to the Black Mage's death.
- Dancer has also been known to be an effective support job in this fight - when Nightmare goes off, the first to wake up uses Divine Waltz to wake the rest of the party, thus allowing the party to survive without having to worry about stunning Nightmare (and thus allowing more job combinations).
- Note that mages will have to stand next to the damage dealers in order to be within range of Divine Waltz.
- This quest can be repeated only once per Earth day. Each time you complete the quest, you can choose one reward from the list.
- Kerutoto (Rhinostery, Windurst Waters)
- Diabolos has informed Kerutoto that he is waiting for you at the Shrouded Maw in Pso'Xja, buried deep in the northern lands. You must respond to his summons so that Kerutoto can meditate free of trouble.