Threnody is a type of Enfeebling Song used by Bards. It temporarily lowers an enemy's resistance to one of the eight elements, causing subsequent elemental attacks, magic, and status effects matching the appropriate element to land on the target with greater accuracy.
- Threnody reduces the target's resistance to the appropriate element by 50 points plus 5 for each +1 on the instrument.
- The White Magic spell Erase will remove Threnody effects.
- Similar to Bar-spells, Threnody spells have an element that is stronger than the element it acts upon. For example, Barblizzard enhances resistance to ice, yet is a fire-based spell. Likewise, Ice Threnody reduces ice resistance, and is also a fire-based spell.
- As an Enfeebling Song, only one Threnody can be active on a target at once. If a subsequent Threnody is cast on a target that still has a Threnody active, the first Threnody effect is removed.
- Based on the previous example, if you try to cast Ice Threnody on a target resistant to fire, it may fail often. An alternative course of action might be to cast Fire Threnody first (a water-based spell), such as to reduce its fire resistance and make it easier to land Ice Threnody.
- The status of reduced elemental resistance, such as the effect provided by Threnody, only heightens the accuracy of elemental spells; meaning it will be more likely to hit for its maximum (unresisted) damage and/or duration. Threnodies, or any other form of reduced elemental resistance, will not allow direct damage spells to hit for a higher than maximum damage.
Threnody Song List
Songs are learned by Bards only, at the following levels:
Base duration of Threnody is 60 seconds (72 with Piccolo +1, 78 with Sorrowful Harp)